T-310 was constructed ca. 1937 as a boiler plant office for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Fort Missoula District Headquarters complex. Over 25,000 CCC enrollees passed through or were stationed at Fort Missoula as part of the federal agency's effort to provide economic relief during the Great Depression through public works projects. The U.S. Army's Fourth Infantry Regiment and other federal agencies supervised the Fort Missoula District corpsmen as they participated in work activities in Glacier National Park, the national forests, and other areas.
The CCC program was terminated in 1942, and Fort Missoula was utilized by the U.S. Border Patrol as an Alien Detention Center during World War II. From 1944 through 1947 the Fort served as the Northwestern Branch of the U.S. Army Disciplinary Barracks. In 1947 the Montana Army National Guard took over management of the CCC buildings, and converted T-310 to a caretaker's cottage. Hugh McElwain was the first full-time caretaker to reside here.
The caretaker's position was ended in the late 1970's, and the building was then mothballed. In 2000 the Rocky Mountain Museum of Military History began restoration of the structure into a year-round visitor center.
Volunteers restoring T-310 and T-316
Building T-316 served as the CCC District Headquarters from approximately 1937 to 1942. After World War Two until the 1970's it served as a Montana National Guard Group HQ including the 443rd Field Artillery Battalion. It then served as the Missoula offices for the National Center for Continuing Education until the early 1980's. It remained unoccupied until the Rocky Mountain Museum of Military History, through arrangement with the Montana National Guard, began restoration of this structure in 2000.
T-316 during restoration